IT managers are in great demand as they handle technology development activities, manage projects and technical resources. The job of a technical manager is complex and needs efficiency in technical and management fields. In this article, we will explain what an IT manager does for an organization. Keep reading this post to know the responsibilities of an IT manager.
People having solid experience in technology often make IT managers. As businesses are reliant on technology, your role as an IT manager is important for business growth. Organizations depend on IT managers to keep their systems working smoothly.
IT manager manages all the administrative operations of the company. It is the senior-most position in an organization’s IT department. The majority of project leads and developers work under their IT manager in an organization. Though the designations may be different in different organizations, there is no difference in the job responsibilities and qualification requirements of an IT manager.
IT managers are mainly responsible for planning and coordinating activities to manage the computer and information systems of a company. They are in charge of hardware and software installation and maintenance. They manage the linking of the hardware and the loading of the software needed in computer systems.
Responsibilities of An IT Manager
- Handle IT and computer systems
- Plan, organize, and evaluate IT operations
- Handle IT staff by recruiting and training employees
- Design, develop and implement systems
- Maintain data security
- Recognize problematic areas and implement solutions in a timely manner
- Audit systems and assess their results
- Preserve assets and control structures
- Manage annual budget
- Excellent working experience as an IT Manager
- Excellent knowledge of technical management and hardware/software systems
- Experience in data centre management and data governance
- Working experience with computer networks and network administration
- Capability to manage personnel
- BS in Computer Science or similar field
- Skills required in IT Manager
- Good leadership qualities and capability to handle critical issues
- Excellent management skills and capability to prioritize tasks
- Experience in developing logic for the programs and code for the software
- Capability to highlight details, discover errors and fix them
- Good analytical skills with experience in mathematics and programming languages
- Good technical Skills
- Excellent programming skills
- Excellent hardware and networking knowledge
- Good working experience with various operating systems
- Capability to create scripting code
- Compatible with latest technologies
Essential Technical Skills for IT Managers
There are numerous technical skills you’ll need to become an IT manager:
- Database administration
- Computer hardware knowledge
- Computer software knowledge
- Web and cloud services
- Analytical mind
- Capability to act as a problem-solver
- Competent in technical aspects
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Team building experience
- Conflict management
Working Conditions For An IT Manager
- IT managers usually work regular hours but may have to work long hours
- Work in offices
- May travel around the country to attend conferences and trade shows
Programming languages you may need to learn to become a successful IT manager:
- Shell Script
Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in IT is a must for this position. He/she should have experience in project management and IT management for at least 3-4 years in a reputed organization. Individuals who are certified in PMP have an additional advantage over others. Solid experience is mandatory to be an IT manager.
The average annual salary paid to the IT managers varies based on their experience, size of the company, skills of an individual, etc. If an individual is less experienced, he/she may be paid less. The average salary of an IT manager varies from $85,000 to $111,975 annually.
Read More: What is the Job of a System Analyst?