The job of an Associate Professor is not a fixed-tenure job. An associate professor is just below a full-time professor, but with varied more responsibilities than a professor. The associate professors work at universities and colleges. Moreover, the job of an associate professor is a reputable job and requires high-level qualifications to pass its requirements.
Basic duties of an associate professor:
There are multiple duties that an associate professor performs, comprising
- Drafting notes and lessons for the class: Associate professors make learning material for classes! Which included making notes for the batch or planning the weekly schedule or curriculum for the classes.
- Teaching students of the college/ university: Associate professors give lectures and learning lessons to the students according to the schedule. Which also includes clearing the doubts of students and guiding them in academics.
- Attending conferences: Attending conferences and seminars is one of the many duties of an associate professor. Certainly, attending social events on a daily basis or once in a while, depending upon the institution one is working in.
- Performing researches and presenting conclusions: Doing researches in the area of specialization is also part of the job! In addition to this, presenting its reports and conclusions from time to time is crucial.
- Performing basic administrative tasks: Organizing events and guest seminars and socializing with other researchers and experts, etc.
Qualification and skills required:
The minimum qualification of an associate professor is a Master’s degree in the area of specialization or a doctorate. Furthermore, a few of the major skills required are:
- Good research skills: One of the major duties of an associate professor is to do research, therefore having good research skills and zeal to accomplish it, is crucial.
- Efficient administrative skills: It’s very crucial to have good administrative skills as managing administrative work is part of the job.
- Good communication skills: Being able to explain one’s research and lessons to the class is very crucial.
- Effective organization skills: Organizing seminars and hosting an event is a regular job for an assistant professor, therefore, this skill is a must.
- Multi-tasking skills: Being able to handle multiple job duties at a single point of time is not everyone’s cup of tea! Therefore, having multi-tasking skills is important.
- Proficient writing skills: For an assistant professor, having good writing skills is crucial, especially to make effective reports and notes.
- Excellent teaching skills: As the name suggests, an assistant professor teaches students, certainly having good writing skills is crucial.
The main components to determine an assistant professors pay are:
- The institution that one is working for
- Level of experience an individual has in the specialized field
- Area of specialization.
These are the three major factors to determine the salary of an assistant professor. But the average annual pay of an assistant professor is around $75,000.