An Adult Educator has given him/herself to teaching adults. The adults in this case are people who have passed the stage of going to elementary or high school. They resort to Adult Education to learn and they are taught by Adult Educators.
The teaching profession is also vast among careers. There are different categories of teachers. Some focus on children, nursery, and elementary pupils. Some focus on high school students. And others focus on college students, who are most often referred to as “Lecturers”.
Similarly, some teachers resort to teaching adults. In this case ,adults who may not have had the privilege of attending school. They are called Adult Educators. They focus on adults who did not attend high school or college. In some cases, these people do not even attend elementary school. This means that their job description covers teaching them how to read and write. In addition, they can progress to learning English, Mathematics, Technology, and other aspects.
There are schools for Adult education. These are where adults educators work. More often than not, there are different adults educators for different subjects.
To find out more about this interesting set of professionals, keep following.
Who is an Adult Educator?
These professionals have to engage different teaching methods. They do not teach like they are before children or toddlers. They teach, bearing in mind that they are dealing with fellow adults. However, an Adult Educator must have had experience in teaching and classroom management.
They teach various subjects, with English as a second language. Sometimes, where they teach may not be a recognized learning center. However, it is their responsibility to train these adults. They train them to the point where they can comfortably take college entrance exams.
Most Adult Educators are graduates of Education departments. This, however, means that they studied an Education course in school. It makes it easier for them to plan lessons and relay information in a simpler way to students. However, some studied sociology and other related courses.
Adult Educators can also be people with specialization in different aspects. In this case, they teach adults in these areas. They include personal development, skills acquisition, enrichment programs, etc.
Responsibilities of Adult Educators
The responsibilities of Adult Educators include but are not limited to the following.
- They work with recommend syllabus to teach students.
- They ensure they carry every student along while teaching.
- Adult educators work with workbooks to ensure that students are understanding what’s being taught.
- They employ various teaching methods to make topics easily understandable.
- Administer tests at intervals to assess their understanding.
- They work with computer software to upload students’ grades.
- They work individually with students to help them understand more. Especially in Mathematics.
- Prepare students for high school entrance exams.
- They prepare students for college entrance exams.
- They do personal research and also find out ways of helping students improve their grammar.
- Adult educators plan lesson outlines to ensure that the syllabus is covered as at when due.
Qualifications for practice as an Adult Educator
To practice as an Adult Educator in the United States, the following are necessary:
- The minimum of a Bachelor’s degree. This can be in;
- Any other related field.
- Experience in teaching
- Teaching Practice
- Previous teaching career, etc.
Other skills are also required. These include:
- Lesson planning skills
- Classroom management skills and also good communication skills
- Proficiency in Mathematics
- Sensitivity to different cultures
- Empathy and also patience
- Computer skills
In the United States, Adult Educators can work in several places. These include:
- Nongovernmental organizations
- Religious settings
- Job training centers
- Organizations training departments
- Private learning centers.
The salaries of Adult Educators depend on the sectors they work in. It also depends on their levels of education. In the United States, they averagely earn from $52,840 to $77,000 in a year. However, this can be more with a Master’s degree and a job in private learning centers.
Adult Educators are people who have taken up the priceless profession of teaching. They devote themselves to imparting other people with knowledge of great value. In addition, they can earn more by gaining a Master’s degree or combining two or more jobs.
If you have a passion for teaching, this profession is one worth considering.