A Political Affairs Officer is a staff under the Political and peacebuilding affairs department. He or she is concerned with political matters, foreign policies, and anything that can affect their country’s politics. They are also involved in a lot of research, public engagements to find out feedback from citizens. They also make reports to governmental bodies on discoveries and areas that can be improved upon. In addition, they are always on guard to prevent and tackle political crises and any insecurity factors arising.
Political Affairs Officers are to be very knowledgeable in different areas such as Government Policy Implementation, foreign affairs, and policy development.
Additionally, the office of this personnel involves a lot of organization and communication skills. They must be well proficient in the English language, in documentation, and display leadership. Also, they must be willing to learn and be moved by the desire to prevent conflict in society.
Furthermore, these professionals are to be Master’s degree holders in political-related fields like International relations, Political science, etc.
Let’s dive right into their peculiar responsibilities.
Responsibilities of Political Affairs Officers
The peculiar duties of Political Affairs Officers include but are not limited to the following:
- Teaching and training younger staff.
- Writing and making reports on findings.
- Submitting reports to governmental bodies.
- Ensuring that he or she is part of conferences and programs related to the field.
- Making research into foreign laws and how they can be adopted and implemented.
- Being part of peacekeeping operations.
- Analyzing existing policies within the state to check for areas of improvement.
- Providing advice on conflict resolution strategies to organizations in different sectors.
- Being part of the organization and overseeing services Government provide for the security councils.
- Being part of meetings with Senior Political Affairs Officers and other staff for a discussion on matters arising and reviews.
- Participating in other duties that they may also have to do.
Qualifications for practice as a Political Affairs Officer
To qualify for practice as a Political Affairs Officer in the United States, certain qualifications are highly necessary.
These are as follows:
- Firstly, a Bachelor’s degree in political science, law, public administration, international relationship, and related fields.
- Secondly, a Master’s degree in one of the above areas.
- Thirdly, work experience in a political field such as peacekeeping and conflict resolution.
Furthermore, certain factors can also disqualify a candidate even though he or she is qualified. These include histories of:
- Violation of the law of human rights.
- Sexual abuse, sexual harassment or sexual exploitation, even if the applicant was a suspect.
Importantly, other skills are also required for practice in this field. Some of them include:
- English Language Proficiency.
- Computer literacy.
- Good communication skills.
- Good documentation skills.
- Diplomatic skills.
- Conflict resolution skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Great Interpersonal relations.
- Leadership skills.
- Research skills.
- Team spirit.
- Ability to pay attention to details.
- Good organization skills, among others.
A Political Affairs Officer typically has flexible work schedules. Some can work from home as well. The job requires attending meetings, conducting research, having public symposiums, and getting feedback from citizens. It also involves documentation and making reports to governing bodies.
Staff will be entitled to an office within the department of the organization. They are also to dress well and be smart looking.
Additionally, the job description can also offer travel opportunities outside the state for conferences and programs.
A Political Affairs Officer earns a good pay. The average salary per year in the United State is about $123,315. It can also be as high as $219,000. This depends on the sector, state, and organization the staff falls under. It can also depend on his or her education and experience.
The office of a Political Affairs Officer provides for growth and promotion. Besides improvement in educational qualification, years of display of competence can also take one to higher positions. These include the Senior Political Affairs Officer and the NAD Director.
The position of a Political Affairs Officer allows one to know more about governing policies and the nation generally. It is a beautiful thing to be part of conflict prevention and resolution by making research and reporting to governing bodies.
In conclusion, as a career, it provides for professional growth. It also presents opportunities for personal development.