Every manager manages something. This simply means to supervise and also administrate a particular venture. The same applies here. A Pharmacy Manager is simply in charge of managing a pharmacy. This, however, means that he or she oversees all that happens there. These include the delegation of duties to junior staff. Also, ensuring that patients are treated well, amongst others. The Pharmacy operations can be challenging without a Pharmacy Manager in place.
To pursue a career in this field, one must become a pharmacist. A prior degree in a business field is a big plus.
To know all you need to know about this profession, relax and read on.
Who is a Pharmacy Manager?
A Pharmacy Manager is a pharmacist who is in charge of a Pharmacy. He or she oversees all that happens there. They do the work of both pharmacists and managers.
In addition, in bigger facilities, they have other Pharmacists working under them. Their major focus is to ensure that everything happens as it should. This is to bring about customer satisfaction and business growth.
Pharmacy Managers must have a degree in Pharmacy; B.Pharm or Pharm.D. A certification in any business field is usually a booster for their work.
Typically, Pharmacy Managers work in community pharmacies. They can also work in hospitals and healthcare centers.
Responsibilities of a Pharmacy Manager
The duties of a Pharmacy Manager include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that the shelves are properly arranged.
- Attending to Patients professionally. And also ensuring that essential drugs do not go out of stock.
- Procuring drugs that are about to go out of stock.
- Receiving drug supplies from suppliers.
- Overseeing daily sales and also records.
- They oversee dispensing of over-the-counter drugs.
- Overseeing dispensing and also recording of prescription drugs.
- Counseling patients on how to take drugs.
- They engage in counseling patients on adverse effects of drugs.
- Counseling patients on the importance of adherence to drug regimens.
- Ensuring that drugs are stored appropriately and also proper inventory management.
- Administering immunization and also vaccines to patients.
- Validating prescriptions.
- Handling medication reviews with Physicians.
- Teaching and training junior staff and also Interns.
- Ensuring that all drugs in the essential medicine list are available at all times.
- Supervising all staff present in the pharmacy.
- Offering Pharmaceutical Care services to patients.
Qualifications for practice as a Pharmacy Manager
To practice as a pharmacy manager anywhere in the United States, the following are necessary:
- A Bachelor of Pharmacy degree or a Doctor of Pharmacy certification.
- Certification in Business Management or any related field. This is not an absolute necessity.
- A certification of internship training in a pharmacy department.
- A minimum of two years working experience in Pharmacy. And also license for practice as a pharmacist.
- Certification of completion of immunization training.
- If one has a degree in Pharmacology, he or she will have to study to get a Pharm.D certification.
In addition, other requirements for practice include:
- Communication skills
- Documentation skills
- Inventory management skills
- Knowledge of drugs and also Pharmacology
- Computer skills and also expertise in Microsoft Excel
- Expertise in pharmacy management softwares
- Math skills and also empathy
A Pharmacy Manager typically earns about $111,783 every year. This, of course, depends on the qualification and experience in practice. Doctors of pharmacy will certainly earn more than Bachelors of Pharmacy.
Typically, a Pharmacy Manager works in a pharmacy. This, however, could be a community pharmacy or a hospital pharmacy.
He or she works for 36 to 40 hours a week. The job could be on a shift or call basis.
Pharmacy Managers find relevance in the following places:
- Drug stores
- Community Pharmacies
- Healthcare centers
Pharmacy Managers with only a Bachelor of Pharmacy degree can study further. This is however to achieve the Doctor of Pharmacy degree. This is because it will be helpful in getting better job offers with better pay.
Pharmacy managers are very important professionals in the Healthcare force. They ensure that all goes well in the Pharmacy.
From drug availability to customer satisfaction. They are not just concerned about the smooth running of the Pharmacy. They are also concerned about the Patient’s health and well-being.
A career as a Pharmacy Manager is a great one. This is especially fulfilling for those with administrative abilities and a passion for patients’ health.
Pharmacy management provides an opportunity for the two to be merged.